Thursday, August 1, 2013

Color Pop Workshop with Roshar (Day 1)

Wow. Would you believe 6 months has gone by since my last (first?) post here and I wish I had some sort of excuse to justify my absence but really, life happened. Anyways, I think I'm a bit more in tuned with my schedule and let's get the ball rolling again shall we?

Some time in June I received an email from MUAH Studios regarding a make up workshop at Oceania Hotel here conducted by Roshar, an international make up artist from NY/LA.  Of course I got super excited and wanted to jump on the opportunity right then and there.  Then I saw the price tag.  I'm not going to lie, but the RM499 (early bird price) and RM799 (regular price) cost made me hesitate and really consider foregoing the workshop altogether.  Fortunately I managed to convince myself on the last day of the early bird promotion that this was going to be an awesome experience and totally worth investing in especially since it isn't often that we get an MUA as established as Roshar in our little city.

Let me start by warning you that this post and the next is going to be quite photo heavy (20+ photos each) so please bear with me through these posts. I am incredibly glad I attended the workshop and definitely learnt some great techniques and tips from Roshar.


Beverly Shim, Owner of MUAH Studios
Our gracious host and co-organizer for the workshop

Roshar, International MUA
Our fun and entertaining instructor/teacher

If you've never attended Roshar's workshops, I definitely recommend that you do.  He has a very informal method of conducting the workshop and is so much fun to learn from.  He's very warm and friendly and everyone in the room were not afraid to approach him to ask questions or just chit chat.

For more information on Roshar and to see more of the work he's done, check out his website here.

While pretty much all of us came with our gigantic case of make up and tools, Roshar packed light. I suppose with experience, there's not much 'just-in-case' products to pack.


Make Up For Ever, Yaby, Kevyn Aucoin, OCC and more.
I spy with my little eye the MUFE Flash Palette (*giddy giddy*)

Beauty Blenders, lashes and glitter!

Needless to say, pretty much everyone gathered round the table to ooh and ahh at the products he was using.  Now if only it was more accessible here.

For the first demo, Roshar talked about his method of highlighting and contouring with cream foundation.  His model, Sofea, is an local up and coming singer he's working with during his stay in KK.

Roshar showing us highlight and contour placement
using a light and dark foundation 

The face highlight and contour blended out (no setting powder yet!)
and the beginning of a contoured smokey eye.

Roshar finishing off the look with red lips.

And here's the finished look for Demo #1.

Roshar mixed a little MUFE HD Elixir with a silver pigment to create a metallic finish to the eye look.  He also thought it would be fun to thrown in a platinum shaggy bob wig just because.  I really love the eye socket contouring.  He taught us how contouring can be easy when you put face shapes aside and look at the skull/bone structure instead.  Interesting concept. 


While Sofea gets ready for the next demo and those who weren't fasting grab snacks and refreshments on the balcony, some of us took advantage of the beautiful weather outside to take photos with Roshar.

Yours truly and Roshar.

MUAH elfettes and Roshar.

Now on to Demo #2, Color Pop!  Once again he reiterated the highlighting and contouring technique but this time with liquid foundation.

In order to demonstrate the concept better, a light source was set up
to simulate how studio lighting affects color intensity.

Roshar applying a corresponding cream base to increase color intensity/pop.

Different shades of blue.

And here is Sofea again with the finished look for Demo #2
and yes, another wig.

The second demo wrapped up slightly earlier than scheduled and we all took a break awaiting time to break fast (also known as iftar).  Here's a snapshot of our models for Day 2 during the wait:


Forgive the fogginess of the shot, the room was super cold and it was pretty warm outside.  Silly me for not carrying a lens cleaner but oh well.  Food was catered by the hotel's adjoining restaurant, Catch22, and was Middle Eastern inspired and delish!  Clearly I was too hungry to snap a photo of the food spread.  Oopsie!

Moving on to the last demo of the day, Fantasy Looks!

Roshar started off with erasing the eyebrows (i.e. the human factor).
The idea for the look was a combination of a mermaid, an alien and a circus.

After brows he mapped out the shape he wanted with a white pencil
and filled it in with white cream make up.

Finishing off with a shimmery turquoise MUFE Aqua Cream.

For the eyes, Roshar demonstrated the effects of using a different colored cream base (blue) underneath a purple shadow which related to a story he was telling us during the second demo.  Is it just me or does this look remind you of the caterpillar in Disney's Alice in Wonderland?

Voila! Another masterpiece.

And that was it for the day.  We were then briefed about what we were to expect for the next day's activities (runway!!!) and off we went home bound.

Day 2 will be posted in a couple of days with more photos from the event.  For now, here's a little sneak peek of the make up I did on my model for the show.  Let me know what you think.

Before, fresh and bare faced.

Highlighted and contoured with eyes partially done.

Yes, fishy faces in make up is unavoidable.  Possibly the best way to find the hollows of your cheeks for that contour color placement.  Also, what a difference filled and groomed brows make to a look.  Of course you could go a little avant garde and leave out the brows.  *grins*

Almost done.

Did some color correction with the foundation I used to contour.  It was looking a little orange and Roshar suggested a gray-ish brown color to counter that orange-ness.  I used theBalm's Bahama Mama and that definitely did the trick.  I didn't have a corresponding cream product for the colors I was using so I used NYX's Jumbo Pencil in Milk as a base.  Didn't pop out as much though.  I tried foiling the eyeshadows on top of it too but I don't think the eyeshadows I was using work well wet.  Gotta improvise!

And here's the pretty much finished look.
I toned down the nose contouring before we left for the show.

Stay tuned for the rest of the photos coming up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment